MaiaLouise

Blog of a twenty-something organizer painter caterer.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Eugene/New York, OR/NY, United States

I am reading little bits of twenty different books at once, practicing yoga, meditation, Alexander Technique and learning how to cook Indian cuisine. I do my best at everything I spend time on, because each activity is its own work of art.

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Or was there Spandex?

OK, so I was up watching Conan. Brilliant brilliant brilliant, mhmm. And it strikes me how weird Drew Barrymore is. She scatters her thoughts to and fro and to and fro. Tonight, she was talking about voting, which really reminded me of Sozcek or someone... how everything is cultural, empowering, immediate, etc. etc. I understand all these things. Sometimes people are so inspired, but it seems to me they are inspired about different facets of the same vague power-words. It's not hard to explore a word like social.

That reminds me of Waking Life, a movie of which I cannot get over. I want to always think about things, occasionally unintentionally profound about small moments. I want to be a crazy woman in a city loft, with a boyfriend and a snake and a bunch of paintings.

Then again, I'm too young to actualize dreams like that. Although I'm lucky, because if I was crazy, I could emancipate myself and get a GED and move to Portland, and the other things are not too hard for me to arrange. Because I already have a boyfriend with a snake and a bunch of paintings... mhmm. I shiver delightfully. It's great to want what you have.

My indulgence tonight, the Oxygen movie, was Dazed and Confused. This is the 70s version of American Grafitti, but so much better. Of course, there really is no plot, it's about highschool kids getting gradually more and more stoned and drunk as the night goes on, hence the title. Yet by the end of the night, they seem to realize what's really important to them, such as defying the football team abstinence policy, and getting with sophomore girls. Classic.

I really lose all my principles when it comes to Oxygen movies, because they are all culturally brilliant. I guess that's why it's called an indulgence. In addition, I wore an extremely baggy sweatshirt + sweatpants, and drank a lot of OJ. This makes me feel so 90s. Like, once I was at my aunt's house, being babysat by her boyfriend's stepdaughter, and she was wearing baggy sweatpants and a sweatshirt. I don't remember oodles about that era, but I'm sure when I'm 83 I'll recall it as 100% Hanna Anderson cotton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home